Assignment due Wednesday, 2.08.17 noon
- Watch one of the following films and write an evaluation using the evaluation guideline and aw-filmmakers-evaluation-rubric You can select either a Martin Scorsese film, or a Francis Ford Coppola film to view. I will also offer a selection on a film co-directed by Woody Allen).
- Look for the following Francis Ford Coppola themes and trademarks:
- Family relationship themes.
- Often casts real-life relatives in films (Talia Shire –his sister, Sofia Coppola – his daughter, Nicolas Cage –Nephew).
- Has enjoyed directing adaptations.
- Characters experiencing a journey of maturity or discovery.
- A search for hope in hopeless situations.
- Misunderstood or underappreciated characters.
- New York as a backdrop
- Genius use of sound, music, and sound design.
Francis Ford Coppola Films
The Godfather (1972) also writer
The Conversation (1974) also writer/producer
Apocalypse Now (1979) also writer/producer
The Outsiders (1983)
The Cotton Club (1984) also writer
Peggy Sue Got Married (1986)
Tucker: The Man and His Dream (1988)
New York Stories (segment: Life Without Zoe) (1989) also writer (w/ Martin Scorsese & Woody Allen)
Bram Stoker’s Dracula (1992) also producer
Jack (1996) also producer
The Rainmaker (1997) also writer
Youth Without Youth (2007) also writer
- Look for the following Martin Scorsese themes and trademarks:
- Mobsters or criminal elements/crime violence.
- Italian/Irish connections.
- Themes of Religion (or Man vs. Religion)
- Corrupt Authority Figures.
- Often works with Robert Deniro, Leonardo DiCaprio, Daniel Day Lewis,
- New York as a backdrop
- Conflict overcoming character.
- Slow motion shots & Close up of eyes.
- Characters serving as loners, dealing with regret and loss.
- Unique use of music and silence.
Note: Scorsese is also an award-winning documentary maker –and has produced several music-based documentaries.
Martin Scorsese Feature Films
Taxi Driver (1976)
New York, New York (1977)
Raging Bull (1980)
The King of Comedy (1982)
After Hours (1985)
The Color of Money (1986)
New York Stories: (segment: Life Lessons) (1989) also writer (w/ Francis Ford Coppola & Woody Allen)
Cape Fear (1991)
The Age of Innocence (1993)
Bringing out the Dead (1999)
Gangs of New York (2003)
The Aviator (2004)
The Departed (2006)
Shutter Island (2010)
Wolf of Wall Street (2013)
Martin Scorsese Music Documentaries (supplemental Viewing)
The Band: The Last Waltz (1978)
The Blues (2003) –Mini-series
Bob Dylan: No Direction Home (2005)
The Rolling Stones: Shine a Light (2008)