Write an evaluation on one of the following Tim Burton films using this aw-filmmakers-evaluation-rubric and guidelines. As a reminder – you should address the trademarks for the filmmaker in each film analysis.
This assignment is due: Feb. 15, noon.
Look for the following Tim Burton themes and trademarks:
- Dark, strange, or odd subject matter
- Characters who are misunderstood
- Outsiders are outcasts
- Surreal settings and/or characters
- Highly stylized and unique set designs & characters(expressionistic lighting, highly detailed and distorted buildings/characters’ costumes/makeup)
- Genres of fantasy, horror, sci-fi (or a blend)
- Man vs. Society & Man vs. Self
- Unique approaches to historical biographies
- Adaptations & remakes (from children’s material, classic literature, TV shows, or classic film)
- Actors Johnny Depp, Jack Nicholson, Michael Keaton, Helena Bonam Carter & Composer Danny Elfman featured.
Tim Burton Films (choices)
Edward Scissorhands (1990)
Ed Wood (1994)
Sleepy Hollow (1999)
Big Fish (2003)
Sweeny Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street (2007)
9 (2009) – (Producer and art consultant)
Alice in Wonderland (2010)
Big Eyes (2014)
Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children (2016)
*You may also use this week as a wildcard reviewing option and evaluate a film from your featured final project focus