Response Post due by March 7 (6pm): John Hughes
Read the article on our website “John Hughes: Forever Young” and watch the 7 minute interview with John Hughes from the Texas Archive: The Roy Faires Collection. Then address two (2) of the following questions. Everyone should try to address a question that hasn’t already been answered first.
- Compare John Hughes approach to writing with that of another filmmaker we’ve explored. Offer examples.
- Compare John Hughes approach to music with that of another filmmaker we’ve explored. Offer examples.
- Based on the reading and the interview, why do you feel that John Hughes is more interested in character than in the overall visual appeal of filmmaking?
- Compare John Hughes to Cameron Crowe and explore their similarities.
- How does John Hughes approach to character study and casting compare to other filmmakers we’ve explored?
- Why do you feel that Hughes was able to find such success? Give examples.
- What was most interesting to you about John Hughes and his path to success? Why?
- No one who understood filmmaking and the teen experience was more connected to both in the 80s like John Hughes. Why was it so important for him (and his stories) to shine during that time in history? And even now?
- Compare John Hughes overall filmmaking style/approach to any other filmmaker we’ve explored this semester.
- Why is dialogue so important to John Hughes? And how do you feel he was able to master it?