Response Post on Meryl Streep and Kenneth Branagh due Wednesday, March 22 at noon.
Read the following Meryl Streep biography and watch the mini-documentary on the Biography Channel website. Also watch the following interview and documentary. Then address the two of the following questions about Streep:
- What fascinates you the most about Streep’s life? Why?
- How has she been able to maintain such a long-running career?
- What inspires Streep into choosing roles?
- What has she learned most from working with other Oscar-winning talent?
- Many lead actresses are unable to get meaty roles when they reach a certain age due to ageism and sexism – how has Meryl been able to continue to thrive when others have not?
- Compare Streep’s success to others we’ve explored this semester.
- Streep has been nominated for more Oscar than anyone else in history – why is she still looking for roles to challenge her?
Read the following Kenneth Branagh biography on the Bio channel and this one on CBS News. Then watch this documentary: “From the Bard to Thor,” and “Kenneth Branagh: A Life in Pictures.” Then address two of the following questions:
- How has Branagh’s knowledge of Shakespeare helped guide him through other’s aspects of his filmmaking career?
- How has Branagh been able to balance producing, directing, and acting?
- What do you find most fascinating about Branagh and why?
- In what ways has Branagh been able to bring Shakepeare to life for a new audience?
- Branagh has brought classic literature (beyond Shakespeare to life) and even Marvel Superheroes to the big screen. He’s also worked in the Harry Potter universe. What makes him such a versatile actor/director?
- Compare Branagh’s career/work to that of others we’ve explored this semester?