Daniel Day Lewis is one of the most critically-acclaimed actors of all time, especially when you evaluate his body of work. Since his breakthrough film in 1990s Oscar-winning “My Left Foot”, Daniel Day Lewis has been nominated for five Academy Awards, six British Academy Awards, and seven Golden Globes. He’s accumulated nine wins from those prestigious organizations collectively. This is even more impressive when you realize that Daniel Day Lewis has only made a little more than 15 serious films.
Daniel Day Lewis is known for committing physically, mentally and artistically to roles; he takes on a variety of accents; he loves to work with directors Martin Scorsese, Paul Thomas Anderson
and Jim Sheridan; he appreciates roles of historical significance; and he takes his time choosing just the right role … one in which he can always totally engage his entire self.
This next video is a wonderful retrospective of highlights from some of Daniel Day Lewis’ greatest performances.
Response Questions: After reading the biography and watching the videos, address two of the following questions and respond by noon on March 28:
- What do you find most fascinating about this award-winning filmmaker, and why?
- Why does Daniel Day Lewis choose such challenging roles? What do you feel that can teach you about life?
- After looking at the highlights of his career, which Day Lewis performance do you feel you would enjoy the most and why?
- Talk about how Day Lewis’ approach to acting works for him (this should come from the reading, interview and your own perspective)?
- Compare similarities to Day Lewis and any other filmmaker you’ve studied this semester.
- What do you feel is the secret to Day Lewis’ success? Explain.