Imagine being 50 years old before you were really taken serious in your profession. Consider knowing at an early age that you were called to do something, only to find that your path towards financial stability and success can be one filled with potholes, twisted roots, and a myriad of stumbling blocks. Well, Oscar winner Morgan Freeman understands that all too well.
This Tennessee native has worked his way through bit parts in children’s television, soap operas, and danced and sang in live theatre before eventually fighting his way into mainstream (and critically-acclaimed) roles. His journey in film has followed five decades of filmmaking and over 70 films, and this actor has become one of Hollywood’s most respected talents, and he has earned each role (no matter how big or small). His voice is one of the most recognizable and sought after in the entertainment business today, and just think, if he had followed the early career path of an Air Force fighter pilot, we may have never heard it.
Read the extended biography of Morgan Freeman here and watch the short documentary on the same page.
In this extended interview with Morgan Freeman, he explores race, life, challenges, his career, and why Hollywood’s focus is on the almighty dollar.
Response Post: After viewing the videos and reading the documentary, address two of the following questions by 6pm on Tuesday, March 28.
- Why did it take so long for Hollywood to notice the talent of Morgan Freeman? Explain.
- What life lessons can you learn from Morgan Freeman’s approach to life? Explain.
- Other than the fact that it took Freeman so many years to break into the business (successfully), what fascinated you the most about him? Why?
- Compare similarities (in detail) of Morgan Freeman to another filmmaker we’ve explored.
- Freeman has explored issues of race, age, and misconceptions in his life and in his films – based on his interview, what fascinated you the most about his responses to those questions?